An Interview with MA Screenwriting Student Allison Mays

As postgraduate students, we are often provided with pieces of wisdom from staff or alumni – but here at the Hub, we find that the best advice is given from your fellow course mates.  This week, we decided to shine a light on student experiences by chatting to Allison Mays, a current postgraduate student on LCC’s prestigious MA Screenwriting course.

In our interview, Allison talked to us about her journey and experiences on the course so far, as well as her top tips for current postgraduate students at LCC.

Vintage Words | Photograph: Thom Milkovic

‘LCC has one of the best screenwriting courses in the country, so it was a perfect fit!’

What made you choose to study at LCC?
I did a lot of research. Honestly, I didn’t know that I wanted to study screenwriting when I started looking into master’s programs. My undergrad was Journalism with an emphasis in Public Relations, so I was actually initially looking at the MA Public Relations courses at UAL. But then I had this big revelation that I didn’t want to do public relations and after many discussions with people who worked in the creative industry, as well as staff on my undergrad course, I figured out that screenwriting was the way to go. It just so happened that LCC has one of the best screenwriting courses in the country, so it was a perfect fit!

‘You’ll get out of the course what you put into it’

How have you found the jump from your undergrad to your postgrad?
There’s a lot more independent work, so I have to be a lot more organised and motivated. You have to set your own guidelines for independent study, and really make sure you structure your time well. You’ll get out of the course what you put into it. It’s definitely been an adjustment, but I want to get as much as possible out of this course, so it hasn’t been difficult – but it has been different. There’s also a big difference between education styles in the US and the UK. In my undergrad they never really prioritized life outside of the course, but they really do here. In the States all they cared about was getting your work done and getting the best marks possible, but here they understand that people have other commitments – such as jobs and social lives and they really take this into consideration which has been great.

How are you finding balancing your postgrad studies with your other commitments?
Well, for the first few months I was trying to focus on getting to properly know the course. However, now I’m getting to that point where I really do need a job – so I’m on the hunt! I’m also trying to be as social as I can and meet new people wherever possible. The workload is going to be intense this term, but I think that learning to balance all these things is a key part of being a postgrad student. I’m still hoping there will be a lot of trial and not much error though!

‘London’s just the perfect place to do an arts course – there’s inspiration everywhere!’

Why did you make the decision to move from the USA to study in London?
I haven’t experienced much outside of the States – having lived my whole life in California – and I found that as a writer this really limited the number of stories I could honestly tell.  So, it was always a goal of mine to go abroad and gain new life experiences in order to improve my craft. My mum had always loved the UK, and I’d never been before, so I realised it was the perfect place to go.

How do you find living in London?
I love London. I have never lived in a city before so that’s been a big adjustment. But there’s always things to do, people to meet, and experiences to have – I just never get bored! I love the culture and the art that you see randomly on the streets – London’s just the perfect place to do an arts course as there’s inspiration everywhere!

‘Adapting has been difficult, but necessary’

How have you coped with doing a masters during the pandemic?
I think if it weren’t the pandemic we would have a lot more in person events, and I can’t lie and say it wouldn’t be better that way. But we’ve all had to adjust. The worlds not going to bounce back any time soon – we can’t predict when things will go back to normal – if they ever will. So you can’t put things off anymore. You just have to do them. But honestly, it hasn’t affected it as much as I had thought it would, in the sense that I do still manage to see people and have some in person workshops. Yes, in a perfect world we would be able to do this all the time, but that’s just not the world we live in anymore. So adapting has been difficult, but necessary.

Do you think that LCC has coped well with the pandemic?
 I only have experience with the Screenwriting course specifically, so I can’t speak for the rest of LCC, but I’ve really appreciated that they’ve prioritized having us in person when they can. I’m very thankful that that’s something that they’re doing. I haven’t had a bad experience, and I completely understand that there are guidelines that they have to follow, and I think they’re enforcing them well.

Do you feel supported by LCC as an international student?
Yes, definitely! I don’t think the US is drastically different to the UK, culture wise, so that international jump hasn’t been too difficult. But both the staff and the students on the course have been so great and welcoming. I feel like I’m not just learning on the course, but outside of it too. I’ve learnt so much about the UK, but also about the US – it’s given me an insight into different views of the States from people who aren’t from there which is such a useful perspective to have– especially for my writing work.

‘It’s never a bad idea to continue your education if you’ve got the passion for it’

What advice would you give to someone considering a postgrad at LCC?
Definitely do it. There are so many people both on the course and outside of it that you can meet.  For international students, living abroad is so empowering. Studying at LCC is also the best as you never feel out of place as It’s just so diverse and that’s great.

Do you have any final words of wisdom?
Studying at a postgrad level is a big commitment. But like I said before, you get out of it what you put into it. It’s never a bad idea to continue your education if you’ve got the passion for it.