A Spotlight on the Screen School’s Postgraduate Course Reps

Spaces and Places | Photograph: Ideal Insight

Last week, the Screen School held a Student and Dean Forum surrounding the theme of ‘employability, creative attributes, careers, and entrepreneurships’. It was an opportunity for course representatives to speak directly to the Dean about the various issues gathered from the student population at LCC.

Here at the Hub, we recognise the value of such meetings, and the vital role Course Reps play in ensuring students receive the best university experience. Therefore, we thought this would be the perfect opportunity to shine a light on the Screen School’s Postgraduate Course Reps. To do this, we spoke to MA Documentary Film Course Rep Julia Martin, and MA Screenwriting Course Rep Megan Binning, to find out a little bit more about their respective experiences as Postgraduate Screen School Course Reps.

What does your role as a Postgraduate Course Rep entail?

Julia: Being a Course Rep means speaking with students about their experiences, collecting data, and communicating findings with the faculty. We also attend course committee meetings and serve as a point of contact between members of the cohort and faculty.

Megan: The role of a Course Rep mainly involves talking with students about the positive and negative aspects of the course and relaying that to the lectures.

Why did you decide to become a Postgraduate Course Rep?

Julia: I wanted to feel connected to members of my cohort and the course faculty, and a seat at the table when it came to decisions being made about the course.

Megan:  I wanted to become a Course Rep because I believe it’s really important for both students and lecturers to have consistent communication to ensure everyone to get the most out of the course.

How are you finding your experience as a Course Rep?

Julia: It’s been a good way to get to know other students and faculty. At times it can be a bit grey with what exactly my role entails, so I’ve had to be realistic with myself about how much I can take on.

Megan: It’s been great as you are able to have a little responsibility without it taking over work time. You also feel like you are helping to make everyone’s university experience that little bit better.

Do you believe you have made a difference as a Course Rep?

Julia: I hope so, I hope my fellow students feel heard!

Megan: I think so, as there have been some changes to the course from the Course Reps creating a safe space for students to give their opinion. In meetings, I feel like our voices are definitely heard – so it’s great to be a part of a university that wants to do everything they can for their students.